Archer Magazine #16 - the DISABILITIES issue
** Purchase a digital copy of this issue here: https://issuu.com/archermagazine/docs/archer16_issuu**
“It has been thrilling to commission writing about sex, sexuality and gender and its intersections with disabilities, Deafness, mental illness and neurodivergence. The mainstream world often stigmatises and judges those of us who are different, while Archer Magazine makes space for nuance, complexity, curiosity and a celebration of difference.” — ROZ BELLAMY, editor-in-chief, Archer Magazine #16
The DISABILITIES issue features articles that explore the impact of COVID-19 on people with disabilities, experiences of medical racism, trauma recovery through sex work and kink, and the future of disability justice, plus an interview with Deaf dancer ELVIN LAM.
This next issue features content on:
* The cost of peer work by IS HAY
* Institutional abuse by JANE ROSENGRAVE
* Loneliness and COVID-19 by BEAU WINDON
* Gender and madness by NICOLE LEE
* Always being the ‘ally’ by CHLOE SARGEANT
* Perfection in elite sport by ISIS HOLT
* Finding freedom in sex work by MAYBE LEIGH
* Collective liberation by JULIA ROSE BAK
* Dissociative identity disorder by PATRICK GUNASEKERA
* Reparenting by ROSE BROADWAY
* Medical racism by TUESDAY ATZINGER
* Parenting and disability by EMILY DASH
* Asexuality and disability by GISELLE
* A bipolar diagnosis and a marriage by KJ
* Kink and mental health by MURRAY TURNER-JONES
Plus images by FRANCES BUKOSVKY, NICOLE WHEAT and NELLY SKOUFATOGLOU.
The striking front cover image features GEMMA ADBY and was taken from an Archer exclusive Zoom photo shoot for this issue titled ‘Disabilities and Desire’, shot by NELLY SKOUFATOGLOU.
“I am a proud, disabled, queer, trans and mad young person, but when I am required to be the ‘good one’ – a palatable and productive version of each of these aspects of my identity – just to be able to pay my rent, pride becomes exhausting.” — IS HAY, Archer Magazine #16